One of the biggest complaints bloggers have when it comes to Blogger vs WordPress is the ability to reply to comments. While Blogger doesn’t appear to be giving us that update anytime soon, there is a way around it.
There’s a simple snippet of code you can place in your blog’s HTML code so users (and you) can reply to comments. However, the function won’t post reply comments directly beneath the comment you’re replying to. It will go beneath the others just as a new one would.
But something’s better than nothing, right? Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to Blogger > Template (or Design in the older interface).
2. Backup your template, just in case anything goes wrong.
3. Click on Edit HTML.
4. Select the Expand Widget Templates check box.
5. Hit Ctrl + F and search for this piece of code:
6. Place your cursor directly beneath that piece of code and paste the following:
6. Almost done! Now, do you see the part of the code that says YOURBLOGID in red? Replace that with your unique blog ID, which can be found in your address bar, like so:
That’s it! Be sure to add your blog ID correctly and save any changes. If you’d like to customize the [Reply] text, simply edit the code text you see highlighted in green above.
If something goes wrong, don’t panic. Simpy restore your previous blog settings using the same button you clicked to Backup your template.
Let me know how it goes! And if you have any blogging how-to questions you’d like answered, fill out the form here.